Sunday 19 October 2014

Higher Learning and Higher Earnings

What I learned so far in my life is that how well you do during your bachelors matter a lot on getting that first stepping stone. But what's also important is no matter what job you have, making the right financial decisions and having the discipline to save and invest is the stepping stone to a better financial life.

I was made aware of the Social Mobility Index from my university's Facebook page. It's an index that ranks university based on tuition, economic backgrounds, graduation rate, early career salary, and endowment. When it comes to making the correct financial decisions, we'd have to group ourselves to the university that we can afford. Once stepping out of the financial bounds is when we make the first mistake. The second decision is making sure we study for a profession that we want to be in, and consider the earnings made in comparison to the tuition paid. In other words, calculate your return on investment in getting that degree.

I made none of those considerations in the past, but I'm going to make sure my kids give it some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment