Sunday 4 May 2014

Let's Talk Money

Anything For Money
 Money, good or bad, moves people. When I was young, I did not want to spend my time studying. But when there's money involved, boy did I work hard to push my grades up to Bs and As. One thing for sure though, it's a rather unsustainable motivator. It didn't build any positive habits in the process (for me at least) and a burden for parents to pay up.

 It's a relationship that I don't want to build with my kids, though my wife had promised my daughter a toy of her choice if she can read the Quran and she's almost there. I haven't offered my daughter, seven years old, anything in return for any achievement.  I want her to discover her emotions of being proud of herself and any other positive outcomes from her experiences.

 The relationship that I do want to build on, and what I think every Muslims should, is to talk about money rather bluntly with their kids depending on their level of understanding. A survey done by Visa found that families in Brazil and Mexico (38 and 42 days respectively) spends most time talking about money, Asians are best savers, young people aren't learning about money but Brazilians get an early start at the age of nine. These are very key things that as a parent should do, talk and teach about money and how to save.

God commands you as regards your children’s (inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females; if (there are) only daughters, two or more, their share is two-thirds of the inheritance; if only one, her share is a half.  For parents, a sixth share of inheritance to each if the deceased left children; if no children, and the parents are the (only) heirs, the mother has a third; if the deceased left brothers (or sisters), the mother has a sixth.  (The distribution in all cases is) after the payment of legacies he may have bequeathed or debts.  You know not which of them, whether your parents or your children, are nearest to you in benefit; (these fixed shares) are ordained by God.  And God is Ever All-Knower, All-Wise.” 4. Surat An-Nisa (Women; 11)

 The ayat focuses mainly on the distribution of wealth. But underneath, I think highlights an importance in communication of wealth. Most people will find it appalling, offensive or taboo to talk about distribution of wealth after death while still alive, but I think it's a must. Especially since debt can be passed down. Money becomes a family affair. If you choose to take on debt, know that your family might take on it as well if you die in debt.

And, DEBT!

No comments:

Post a Comment