Sunday 29 June 2014

Fasting And Binging

It's technically my daughters first Ramadan. She's 7 and she will have to fast the whole day. Starting around lunch time is when she starts to complain. Under normal circumstances, she never asks to eat. In fact, we have to insist that she eats. During Ramadan, she wants to break her fast as soon as she feels slight hunger. Then she made a plan for break time to eat everything in sight. Of course, once she did break her fast, she didn't act according to plan.

There are two things that are at play during fasting. Hunger and satisfaction. The combination of physical and emotional need to fill the void and feeling satisfied soon after. When we're going against food, we can probably win most challenges. But how can we win against objects, when we window-shop and have a sudden urge to buy?

It's very hard when you're going against yourself without a buffer (friend, family, spouse). I am almost always the loser when I am by myself. The quick answer if you've ever find yourself digging further emotionally to find justification to buy is to quickly remove yourself from the situation. You'll soon remove yourself from the emotions you experienced and quickly gain self-control.

PS.
Happy Ramadan.

During Ramadan, I will be taking a break from this blog, though not a complete break. I will be going through all my past posts and clean up on my poor writing to my abilities. I'll see you after Eid. Salaam.

No comments:

Post a Comment