Saturday 9 November 2013

Tracking Your Spending

Black Bear Tracks
And everything they did is in written records. | And every small and great [thing] is inscribed.
54. Surat Al-Qamar (The Moon); 52-53

I first opened my checking account at 19. I've vague memories of using my checkbook register. Never using it would be more truthful. Which is sad, really, because keeping record of spending plays an important role in being successful financially.

Since my last month's paycheck, I've been trying to get into the habit of jotting all my income and spending. Perfect timing too, because 2 months ago I've finally bought my first smartphone (nothing fancy, an Acer Z2 Duo) to use a budget and spending tracker app. I thought it would be easy and with the convenience of the smartphone, I'll get everything down to the last penny.

I was wrong. I'm off. By a lot.

I've narrowed my mistake to one thing: Procrastination. I kept delaying myself to take out my phone, load the app, and record the transaction. Then whatever is delayed, it never gets recorded.

So, I'm renewing my niyyah. I am committed to take record of all my transactions as they occur.

What's next? I will report on which app works best for me. I apologize that I only have an android phone, so I will try to use apps that are both on iOS and Android.

No comments:

Post a Comment