Tuesday 8 November 2016

Achieving Financial Independence, or later



I have been pondering about this for months. A decision that will affect my family well being. 

Background
Currently, my wife and I both are working full time. We should be achieving financial independence by end year 2019 (age 35) but with 1 of us working till year end 2022 (age 38) for buffer.  With the arrival of my 2nd child, someone has to take care of him, (baby boy) from next year Aug 17. My wife love her job and her work environment is good. However, my income is higher (I don't hate my job either) but my wife will also enjoy working mother relief n subsidy. Hence, it make more sense for my wife to continue working. So, there is no perfect equation on who should carry on to run the "rat race".

Now, the question is, should I similarly place my 2nd child in the infant care or I taking up the caregiver role? 

Here are the 2 scenarios:

1)  I leave workforce at 33 years old, Aug 2017, to take care of my children:

Pros
  • Child will not fall sick every other week in infant care centre
  • My wife income is sufficient to cover household expenses
  • More manpower to cope with family matters
  • More family time for the children upbringing
  • No more urgent leave and awkward working arrangements to deal with family matters
Cons
  • Leaving workforce without achieving Financial Independence
  • 2 more years to achieve our financial goal (End year 2024 at 41)
  • I may not be able to get back similar salary and I know I wouldn't be keen to return to full time workforce
  • I will have lesser CPF balance
2) Both of us working together to achieve Financial Independence

Pros
  • Leaving the workforce with more financial certainty
  • Potentially avoiding awkward family financial situations with one depending on another
  • Achieving financial goal 2 years earlier (End year 2022 at 39)
  • More CPF balance for retirement
Cons
  • Children falling sick often
  • Less family time
  • More taxing to deal with more housechores with more children, especially when they are sick
  • Plenty of urgent leave and awkward working arrangements to deal with family matters
Our inclination is for us to continue working since it is only 3 more years from now. If we can't cope, I will then leave the workforce permanently to be caregiver.

What are your views?

No comments:

Post a Comment